Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Architecture Consulting Director
at CNA Surety
Job Reference #: INF0001RP
Individual contributor provides highest level of expertise for development, specification and communication of the company's technology architecture plan, the infrastructure components required to support it, and in the integration of corporate and business area architectures. Leads multiple projects for the area. Develops innovative and effective solutions for the most diverse and most complex business problems.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Act as principal designer for corporate systems' architecture including application, data, and infrastructure architectures.
2. Responsible for developing, recommending and executing strategic and tactical business and technology roadmaps in conjunction with business partners and strategy teams; describing the evolution of enterprise portfolios from current state to future state.
3. Strong business knowledge and acumen.
4. Responsible for defining and documenting conceptual architecture; capture and document non-functional (architectural) requirements; and define technical requirements for proposals (RFPs).
5. Provide integrated systems planning and recommend new or different technologies which will enhance current systems and support overall corporate and business goals.
6. Research and evaluate new and/or alternative solutions and technologies to enhance operational effectiveness, reduce costs and/or system risks and increase speed to market
7. Provide technical consultation to business partners and IT management to ensure development of efficient application systems utilizing established standards, procedures and methodologies.
8. Proactively monitor strategic direction of vendors/software products, technology and market trends, and determine potential impact and value to the enterprise.
9. Lead and facilitate architecture governance and review processes.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Typically AVP or above
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
1. Expert knowledge of design and implementation of enterprise workflow systems, distributed architecture, intranet/internet architecture, and communication architectures.
2. A senior level knowledge of the system development life cycle, and system and application program development technological alternatives and architecture methodologies for multi-platform environments.
3. Must be competent to work at the highest technical level of all phases of system architecture design using state of the art rules-based architecture, object oriented component analysis and development and proficiency in web-based systems architecture, service-based architecture and enterprise application architecture. Strong knowledge of contemporary technology and business trends that allows architecture to solve problems in a creative and cost effective manner.
4. This role will be aligned with a business domain, so deep knowledge of insurance (e.g. UW, Claim, Reinsurance, Risk Management) or corporate (e.g. HR, Finance) functions is necessary.
5. Excellent communication and interpersonal and consultative skills to work effectively with vendors, clients, peers, and IT management and staff.
6. Must be able to clearly communicate complex technical and business concepts both to business partners and team members.
7. Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
8. Working knowledge of systems architectural concepts and frameworks like TOGAF preferred.
9. Experience developing 3-5 year roadmaps outlining the evolution of the enterprise application portfolios from current to future state.
Education & Experience
1. Bachelors or above degree in Computer Science, or related discipline, or equivalent experience.
2. Typically 9 years of solid, diverse work experience in IT including experience with systems architecture methodologies.
3. Candidates should also have design and architecture experience of at least 5 years in one or more of the aforementioned technologies, preferably in the context of large secure web applications with complex real-time integrations and diverse user bases.
4. Some previous project leadership experience is desirable.
5. Applicable certifications preferred.