Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Heartland Alliance
Chicago - North Side
# of Openings:
Summary: The Dental Assistant, under supervision, assists the dentist in the routine handling of patients, instruments, supplies and materials. Individual accountabilities and work volume will be established through the development of annual Success Objectives, within the framework outlined below.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepares operatories and equipment for daily use in the morning as well as securing the same at the end of day.
- Performs preliminary inspection of mouth and documents chart findings. May take blood pressure readings
- Assists patients in completing health questionnaire and other clinic paperwork
- Prepares tray of instruments and supplies required for the patient and serves as the dentist’s chair side assistant by handling the various instruments and supplies as instructed.
- Sterilizes and polishes dental instruments, oils and cleans equipment per maintenance schedule
- Performs routine laboratory work such as mixing fillings materials, pouring models etc., takes dental radiographs, develops and mounts x-ray film
- Understands and observes all infection control procedures and performs weekly monitoring of sterilization equipment
- Assists in removing or inserting temporary medical fillings and applies topical drugs as prescribed by the Dentist
- Assists in placing rubber dam
- Performs the charting of the mouth according to the dentists instructions. Instructs patients in proper oral hygiene techniques, proper nutrition for dental health and common oral problems.
- Inventories and requisitions dental supplies.
- Adheres to professional standards as outlined by governmental bodies, The American Dental Association (ADA) (and/or other appropriate professional associations), private funding sources, Agency plans/policies and Unit guidelines. Participates in periodic evaluative reviews and/or in house and external staff training to ensure that he/she understands and continues to adhere to such standards. Initiates requests for assistance or guidance from Supervisor to address new issues or complex concepts affecting adherence to professional standards.
- Performs necessary clerical duties including, but not limited to registration of patients, making appointments when necessary and operating a computer, including Microsoft Word and internet search functions.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and/or Experience: High school diploma or equivalent. Completion of an approved course in dental assisting or employed full time for at least six months as a dental assistant in a dental clinic. Ability to work with groups and individuals in a tactful and resourceful manner.
- Language Skills: Fluency in a second language may be required.
- Computer Skills: Demonstrated proficiency in operating a computer efficiently, including Microsoft Word and internet skills.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Frequently required to sit, stand and walk
Heartland Alliance makes all hiring and employment decisions, and operates all programs, services, and functions without regard to race, receipt of an order of protection, creed, color, age, gender, gender identity, marital or parental status, religion, ancestry, national origin, amnesty, physical or mental disability, protected veterans status, genetic information, sexual orientation, immigrant status, political affiliation or belief, use of FMLA, VESSA, military, and family military rights, ex-offender status (depending on the offense and position to be filled), unfavorable military discharge, membership in an organization whose primary purpose is the protection of civil rights or improvement of living conditions and human relations, height, weight, or HIV infection, in accord with the organization's AIDS Policy Statement of September 1987.