Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Program Advising Manager
at IES Abroad
- Recruiting and Advising
- Chicago, IL, USA
- Full Time
Status: Full-time, exempt
Schedule: 37.5 hours per week, M-F, 8.30a.m. 4.30p.m, with a 30 minute lunch break from 12:00pm 12:30pm. This position includes occasional evening and weekend work based on seasonal business needs/position requirements. US-based travel may be required (estimated at 10-20%, maximum, seasonal some nights and/or weekends may be required).
Reports to: Assistant Director of Advising
Direct reports: 3 Program Advisors + up to 3 Temporary Seasonal Employees
Start date: ASAP
Location: Chicago, IL
Everything we do is about the IES Abroad student. Our profoundly passionate team of study abroad professionals believes in creating once-in-a-lifetime educational adventures that transcend expectations. Our goal is to rock the world of some 9,500 study abroad students every year.
From our headquarters in Chicago to our 400+ study abroad programs in 85 global locations worldwide, we create authentic global education and life-affirming cultural experiences. We work at IES Abroad because we believe that every student should have the opportunity to go abroad - especially in a fun, safe, and superior academic and cultural environment.
We believe so strongly in the power of our program, that we actively recruit students from diverse populations and provide more than $5 million in scholarships year after year. We are proud that our students are as diverse and exciting as the countries we study.
We're not ashamed to admit, we're a little bit obsessed with study abroad.
Summary of position:
The Program Advising Manager manages a 3-person full time staff of Study Abroad Program Advisors. The Program Advising team will work directly with applicants to IES Abroad programs, and they are responsible for converting applicants to enrolled students. The Manager's primary responsibility is to make sure that our advising team is providing high quality service to our constituents with accurate and timely advice and follow up to students, their parents, and their home school study abroad staff.
The Manager develops training materials, conducts training, oversees the day-to-day work of their staff, provides support with overflow of incoming calls and assisting to diffuse difficult calls. The Manager also manages data entry, student inquiry, and fulfillment of information requests.
In anticipation of enrollment growth with students overseas, this position will need to train staff to work with clients with a new set of technological, cultural and visa needs.
Manage Advising Staff and Processes
- Manage IES Abroad Program Advisors and Temporary Seasonal Employees, as needed
- Train direct reports and develop departmental training materials
- Coordinate with Assistant Director of Advising on advisor assignments
- Define advising workloads that are manageable and create high response capabilities for staff members
- Train advising staff to address issues related to diversity and gender
- Train staff on proper use and protocol in IES Abroad Student Information System
- Conduct workshops for staff to develop professionally on current topics facing college students and their families
- Oversee staff coordination with other members of their programmatic tripods to development timelines, process, and communication associated with their advising portfolios
- Consult with Assistant Director of Advising to nominated staff for special college relations and On Campus Partner Connection activities and visa support days
- Follow through on management responsibilities including, without limitation, performance management, conducting performance reviews and setting goals, providing coaching and guidance, dealing with discipline and grievances, recruitment and selection, issuing and collecting HR documentation and any other HR-related responsibilities in conjunction with Human Resources and IES Abroad policy
- Assist with overflow of incoming call volume
- Provide friendly, accurate, and prompt pre-departure support and information to IES Abroad students, parents, and education institution staff through written and verbal (telephone) communications
- Maintain excellent records of all communications
- Utilize database and web technology in all daily functions
- Serve as Recruiting and Advising Department expert on specific IES Abroad programs
- Serve as member of advising team, providing call and email coverage for team members when needed
- Liaise with other departments to answer student questions and monitor any program changes/enhancements
- Communicate program changes/enhancements to all team members and relevant departments
- Participate in editing and updating student pre-departure materials for each enrollment cycle
- Serve as part of a rotating group of staff handling after-hours call
Manage Prospective Student Follow-up Process (daily)
- Manage timely and accurate data entry of prospective student leads
- Oversee hiring and training of departmental assistants
- Coordinate call campaign to recent applicants
- Regular and predictable attendance is essential for this position
- Any other task or duty as assigned
Experience & Qualifications/Skills:
- At least 1 year of experience in the field of study abroad
- Proven track record in recruitment, advising, and client relations
- Strong leadership skills and interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Talent for organizing and prioritizing multiple tasks
- Ability to work both independently and as a team player
- High level of enthusiasm, energy and flexibility
- Strong customer service focus
- Skilled in handling stressful situations, i.e., advising anxious students and parents and managing high call volumes
- Interest in embracing business process opportunities
- Personal study abroad experience
- Good working knowledge of Excel spreadsheets, Microsoft Office, and database literacy
- Exceptional team player, proactive and responsible, with the ability to learn rapidly
Education Licenses and/or Certifications etc.:
- Bachelor's degree required
Open until position is filled.
No phone calls or emailed status inquiries accepted.
Successful candidates will be contacted directly and will be sent the full Job Description.
How to Apply:
All applicants should submit an application including cover letter, resume, and salary requirements by clicking 'Apply Now' at the right hand side of this page.
Please visit www.IESabroad.org/jobs for more information about working at IES Abroad.
Equal Opportunity Employment:
IES Abroad is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. We strive to treat people with respect; fully utilizing employee's abilities and promoting workforce diversity.
We are committed to a policy of equal opportunity and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), disability, age, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation or genetic information or veteran status and/or any other status protected by applicable laws.