Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
LanzaTech is turning our global carbon crisis into a feedstock opportunity with the potential to displace 30% of crude oil use today and reduce global CO2 emissions by 10%. LanzaTech’s carbon recycling technology is like retrofitting a brewery onto an emission source like a steel mill, but instead of using sugars and yeast to make beer, bacteria convert pollution to products! Imagine a day when you can power a plane by recycled carbon emissions, when your yoga pants or sneakers started life as pollution from a steel mill. This future is possible using LanzaTech technology. The first commercial facility is operating in China with Shougang converting steel mill emissions to ethanol. Additional commercial facilities are in development in Belgium with the world’s largest steel maker, ArcelorMittal, in India with Indian Oil using refinery offgases, in South Africa with Swayana, using ferroalloy offgases and using agricultural residues with ethanol producer, Aemetis in California. LanzaTech has already produced synthetic jet fuel from recycled carbon emissions and the world first flight using recycled carbon took place in October 2018 when Virgin Atlantic flew a Boeing 747 from Orlando, Florida to London, UK.
In 2019 LanzaTech was listed in FastCompany’s Top 50 Innovative Companies at #27 and #1 in the Energy Category. In 2018 and 2017, LanzaTech was recognized as the #1 Hottest company in the Advanced Bioeconomy by Biofuels Digest, the world’s most widely-read bioeconomy daily. In 2017 the company was also inaugurated into the Cleantech100 Hall of Fame, having been listed in the top 100 cleantech companies over the last 7 years. In 2016, the company won the Young Global Leader Award for Circular Economy at the World Economic Forum, LanzaTech was also the top biofuels company in the 2018 and 2016 CNBC Disruptor 50 Companies list. In 2015, LanzaTech was awarded the U.S. EPA Presidential Green Chemistry Award for Greener Synthetic Pathways. The company’s accomplishments were recognized through a number of prestigious awards in 2014, including the Guardian Sustainable Business Innovation Award for Carbon and Energy Management, Breakthrough Innovation Award at the Platts Global Metals Awards, and the Technical Development Award from the World Petroleum Council. In 2013, the company was named a World Economic Forum Technology Pioneer.
About the Role:
This position is responsible for all phases of process design work for commercial projects supporting our global customers across refining and industrial sectors, as well as new projects in biomass and MSW to products. This includes developing heat and weight balances, equipment sizing and specification, developing PFDs and P&IDs, and developing and executing project plans for delivery of engineering packages. This position will lead various engineering projects at any given time. Coordinating with a cross-functional global team is essential to ensure that the robust process is followed, resulting in timely and accurate project execution. This role will also mentor on all engineering disciplines assigned to projects.
Specific Job Function:
- Develop preliminary scope and project plan for new projects including estimates for preliminary project costs and benefits
- Integrate LanzaTech fermentation process with supporting technologies to develop a complete technology package
- Accountable for basic engineering packages which includes, but is not limited to:
- Process Flow Diagrams (PFD’s)
- Detailed Heat and Weight Balances for new or modified processes
- Process and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID’s)
- Equipment lists and specifications
- Delivering on-schedule and within project budgets
- Respond to client needs in a timely manner with technically sound positions
- Utilize specified software, models and LanzaTech proprietary tools to size equipment. Validate calculations, heat and weight balances data, equipment sizing and equipment specification information pre-packaged by other Process Engineers
- Work with plant operating personnel to troubleshoot operation issues
- Interact with third parties such as customers, equipment vendors, Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) contractors and industry consultants
- Participate in or lead process HAZOPs and risk identification and mitigation activities. Develop and share best practices with the engineering team and throughout the company
- Prepare accurate calculations, some of which are non-standard
- Lead in the continuous improvement effort of LanzaTech’s design methodologies and tools to address customers’ needs and the productivity within LanzaTech
- Provide R&D, BD and Technical Services support, as required
- Provide the technical leadership and coaching, as well as strategic vision for the group accountable for the preparation of engineering process design packages for demonstration and commercial scale processing facilities.
- Create the infrastructure needed to deliver projects on time, within budget and meeting quality standards
- Partner with Business Development to project timelines for commercial projects and the talent needed to execute efficiently
- Establish and monitor department and project budgets
- P&L planning to maximize the value LanzaTech derives from engineering products
- Establish strategic objectives for the team in-line with the company’s commercial goals.
- Support business development through interaction with clients and partners, and presenting to industry.
- Oversee the mechanical design and specification of discrete equipment items.
- Participation in HAZOP studies for demonstration and commercial scale plants.
- Travel internationally to support execution of customer projects
- Contribute and adhere to all safety standards and practices
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering
- 10-15 years of experience compromised of supporting plant operations in addition to capital project development and management.
- Proven experience in developing and managing groups accountable for delivering engineering design packages in an international context.
- Ability to implement engineering concepts into functional process designs, as well as troubleshoot operating units and develop sound engineering solutions is required
- Experience with specification of equipment such as reactors, tanks, heat exchangers pumps, vessels and process simulation
- Practical experience in developing PFDs, P&ID’s, and process equipment specification sheets required
- Ability to gather data, set priorities, and meet deadlines
- Working knowledge of process instrumentation, control valves, and control loops Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and team player mentality
- Self-motivated with the ability to take initiative, work independently and in a team environment
- A valid passport is required
- The ability to operate in a fast paced, global, entrepreneurial environment.
- Prior experience with the design and development of bio and chemical processes
- Background experience working with basic design packages
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD AutoCAD, Excel and Aspen/HYSYS
- Prior plant commissioning experience
- Experience with customer/EPC documentation review
- Up to 25% of global travel is required. Some travel is for extended periods to support projects
- May work at industrial sites for project needs
This position is open to candidates authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer. LanzaTech is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.