Newell Rubbermaid, inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Product Development Engineer - Outdoor & Recreation
at Newell Rubbermaid, inc.
Job Reference #: 1805138
Position Title: Product Development Engineer - Outdoor & Recreation
Location: Chicago, IL
Reports To: Engineering Manager
The Product Development Engineer will be responsible for new product development (NPD) projects for both new and existing products, while working within a cross-functional team. Some travel may be required. This position will:
Participate in the engineering efforts for NPD projects from conception through production launch, while following Newell Brands' Product Development Process. Ensure the product meets or exceeds expectations from a cost, timing, and specification standpoint.Require the ability to work effectively with other disciplines including Marketing, Industrial Design, Manufacturing, Quality, and Supply Chain.
- Provides routine engineering, working autonomously on project teams with little to no guidance from more Senior Engineers to deliver well- engineered products.
- Reviews relevant competitive products to provide benchmarking and analysis of technical specifications.
- Implements existing technologies on a project level to deliver products.
- Uses a disciplined approach and the appropriate methodology to analyze and determine the preferred solution to technical challenges.
- Analyzes test results to provide data for use in solving problems.
- Develops optimal product test plans to validate design.
- Summarizes complex technical concepts in simple, clear language appropriate to the audience to gain alignment.
- Recommends and presents solutions and opportunities in forums to encourage ideation and technical sharing.
- Generates questions to validate the understanding of the subject matter to facilitate team member understanding.
- Participates in cross-functional teams to work seamlessly across disciplines as required to execute product initiatives.
- Incorporates consumer and market insights to drive innovation and project execution.
- Applies a basic understanding of product specifications, material selection, manufacturing processes, cost constraints, regulatory and legal landscape (intellectual property) to drive high quality, sustainable, and efficient NPD.
- Recommends architecture of products and is accountable for a subset of the system to ensure robust end product designs.
- Generates Computer Aided Design (CAD) models and uses other technical tools as needed to execute business projects/initiatives.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering required
- 2-5 years of product development experience required
- Demonstrates strong knowledge of problem solving techniques and methodologies
- Demonstrates hands on prototyping/design validation model building knowledge
- Demonstrates Strong Static/Dynamic analytical skills
- Demonstrates CAD modeling experience (Creo preferred )
- Demonstrates knowledge of applicable manufacturing processes
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal and project management skills
- Demonstrates excellent communication skills-verbal and written
- Demonstrates ability to perform in a team environment
Newell Brands (NYSE: NWL) is a leading global consumer goods company with a strong portfolio of well-known brands, including Paper Mate, Sharpie, Dymo, EXPO, Parker, Elmers, Coleman, Jostens, Marmot, Rawlings, Oster, Sunbeam, FoodSaver, Mr. Coffee, Rubbermaid Commercial Products, Graco, Baby Jogger, NUK, Calphalon, Rubbermaid, Contigo, First Alert, Waddington and Yankee Candle. For hundreds of millions of consumers, Newell Brands makes life better every day, where they live, learn, work and play. Newell Brands and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers and comply with applicable employment laws. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled are encouraged to apply.