Ropes and Grey
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Legal Executive Assistant
at Ropes and Grey
About Ropes & Gray
Ropes & Gray LLP is a preeminent global law firm focused on providing the highest-quality advice on our clients’ critical legal and business issues. Our global team of 2,500 talented professionals regularly helps clients meet high-stakes challenges, solve complex problems and achieve key goals. These colleagues work together across a global office network that includes offices in Boston, Chicago, Hong Kong, London, New York, San Francisco, Seoul, Shanghai, Silicon Valley, Tokyo and Washington, D.C.
We are a contemporary firm that can bring more than 150 years of legal and institutional history to bear on the challenges clients face in today’s global, 24/7 business environment. Our collaborative approach gives our clients—which include many of the world’s most respected companies and institutions—ready access to leading corporate, litigation, transactional and regulatory lawyers whose knowledge and experience span industries and geographies.
With an international presence, we focus primarily on the asset management, technology, life sciences, health care and real estate industries. Our clients include global industry leaders, financial institutions, investment firms, private equity firms, hospitals and health care organizations, educational institutions and individuals.
We have consistently been recognized for our leading practices in many areas, including private equity, M&A, life sciences, health care, finance, investment management, hedge funds, tax, real estate, intellectual property, commercial and securities litigation, government enforcement, antitrust, and privacy and data security.
Ropes & Gray is an equal opportunity employer.
ABOUT ROPES & GRAY:
Ropes & Gray is a leading global law firm with offices in Boston, Chicago, Hong Kong, London, New York, San Francisco, Seoul, Shanghai, Silicon Valley, Tokyo, and Washington, DC. It is consistently recognized as a top player in its private equity, investment management, intellectual property, government enforcement, life sciences and business & securities litigation practices, among others.
Built on a foundation of over 150 years of dedication to forging strong client relationships, we represent clients across a broad spectrum of industries on a wide range of issues.
More than 1,000 lawyers and professionals strive to provide the highest-quality legal advice available. Our firm combines superior talent with a supportive environment where nothing gets in the way of solving our client's problems.
Become a Legal Executive Assistant (LEA) at Ropes & Gray. Why? Because with great responsibilities come great opportunities: to work alongside industry-leading lawyers; to serve as an attorney’s right hand and play a vital role managing day-to-day activities; and to join the practice as an integral member of the group, managing the flow of information as you screen, organize and prioritize requests from both internal and external clients.
Being an LEA at Ropes & Gray means being challenged and rewarded. It’s a role ideal for a self-starter with high energy who can work independently and identify creative solutions to complex business problems.
- Supports and demonstrates fluency in the Firm’s Trusted Advisor and Proactive Assistance programs.
- Demonstrates a professional demeanor in appearance and behavior. Maintains strict confidentiality in all interactions. Refrains from office gossip. Possesses strong interpersonal skills; demonstrates a solid ability to communicate with all levels of the organization.
- Possesses exceptional verbal and written communication skills adhering to proper business writing standards. Demonstrates a keen eye for detail in informal and formal communications.
- Maintains a positive and professional attitude at all times. Works effectively with other departments, seeks solutions to business problems. Demonstrates an intellectual curiosity, and continuous drive to improve service.
- Demonstrates an openness to constructive feedback and a flexibility to adjust behavior or performance as needed.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include:
Client Service – Relationship Management
- Fosters open and frequent communication with teammates to ensure smooth and expeditious support to assigned lawyers. Cross-trains teammates ensuring same first-class service while away or out of the office.
- Provides superior client service with internal and external clients displaying a proactive, “can do” attitude when meeting individuals, answering telephone calls, and acting on behalf of the lawyers.
- Acts as the Gatekeeper prioritizing conflicting needs; handles matters confidentially, expeditiously, proactively and independently and follows through on tasks until successful completion; suggests new process/procedures to expedite projects and day-to-day workflow.
- Demonstrates intimate knowledge of assignment’s work habits and preferences. Anticipates need, shepherds work forward with limited direction.
- Develops strong understanding of (assigned lawyer’s) practice and clients. Maintains a professional relationship with other legal counsel, courts, agencies and professional organizations on behalf of the attorney keeping up-to-date client contacts in InterAction, as well as, detailed client/matter lists.
- Works closely and effectively manages assigned lawyers practice to keep him/her well informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities, following up appropriately.
- Efficiently reconciles and processes expenses. Reviews Inbox, diary entries, calendar and other items to classify business and personal expenses. Reviews Chrome River and American Express Card to allocate expense items; obtains receipts from lawyer or other means if available. Collaborates with internal or external resources to address all outstanding Chrome River or AMEX items within payment window, running inquiries when necessary.
- Actively manages timekeepers’ diaries. Creates draft entries based on knowledge of lawyer activity, review of Inbox, diary entries or other knowledge. Edits and reviews entries to ensure conformity to best practices. Proactively manages lawyers to ensure entries meet submission deadlines. Obtains subject matter expert level knowledge of the billing process. Proactively communicates and collaborates with assigned billing coordinators. Coordinates the proper review of proformas, track edits and updates, and facilitates final approval of bill to ensure timely delivery to client. Assists in meeting targets and yearend deadlines.
- Composes, edits and proofreads correspondence, presentations and other documents. Demonstrates exceptional technology/document production skills.
- Proactively coordinates internal/external meetings with limited direction. Arranges proper logistics based on meeting requirements (visitor offices, conference room, video conference and dial-in number as appropriate).
- Applies best practice when arranging travel utilizing agent assist and on-line tools appropriately. Monitors lawyers travel to ensure smooth arrival and departure. Maintains up to date travel preferences (frequent flyers, KTN, passport, etc.) Manages airline check-in, and boarding passes for assigned lawyers (when appropriate).
- Proactively coaches lawyers to utilize their assistant on a regular basis while seeking out general administrative/non-billable tasks from lawyers to allow them to focus on legal work and engage in their practice. Tasks include, but are not limited to, printing, scanning, copying/binding, filing, notary services, document preparation and package shipment.
- Demonstrates an exceptional understanding of Microsoft Outlook. Utilizes creative problem solving skills to solve challenging scheduling requirements. Manages multiple calendars and supports scheduling requirements across multiple lawyers, clients, offices and time zones.
- Monitors attorney’s inbox. Cleans-up, organizes and/or responds per lawyer preferences. Organizes and cleans up Outlook folder structure. Ensures client/matter related documents and emails are stored in FileSite Workspaces.
Training and Professional Development
- Actively contributes in secretarial huddles and other team related activity. Participates in focus groups, lunch and learns and other knowledge sharing activity including the mentor program when necessary.
- Maintains subject matter level expertise in firm’s core applications. Understands and adheres to best practices.
- Performs other work-related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- College degree or equivalent
- Expert proficiency with the MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) applications.
- Strong organizational skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail
- Very strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with internal and external lawyers, staff and clients
- Expert written and verbal communication skill
- Demonstrated proactive approach to problem-solving and strong decision-making capability