The Salvation Army In the Midwest
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at The Salvation Army In the Midwest
- Job ID
- # of Openings
- Arts and Education
- Regular Part-Time
DOING THE MOST GOOD
Do you want to use your skills and talents to make a lasting difference in the world? The Salvation Army is the fourth largest charity in the United States and is an international organization based on Biblical principles created to help people in need. We are mission-driven, diverse, collaborative, and focused on positive results for people. Join us in making a difference.
POSITION TITLE Music Instructor
LOCATION/DEPT: Ray & Joan Kroc Corps Community Center
REPORTS to (TITLE): Performance & Visual Arts Manager
The Salvation Army Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center of Chicago exists to express the mission and ministry of The Salvation Army through a safe, enriching and sacred environment where all individuals have access to opportunities to reach their physical, intellectual, social and spiritual potential. The Vision of the Chicago Kroc Center is to impact individuals, families and seniors of the Southside while building community, promoting excellence, motivating wellness, teaching character, and encouraging faith.
The position of Music Instructor is to provide music training/instruction for children and adults of all ages. They may work at a variety of levels teaching different musical skills to either individuals or groups. He/she is responsible for the teaching vocal/music classes and programs based on the offerings of the Academy of the Arts for the Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center (RJKCCC). The Music Instructor works directly with the Performance & Visual Arts Manager and Arts & Education Director in developing course syllabi and class teaching consistent with the mission of The Salvation Army. This is a part-time position requiring evening & weekend hours.
- Responsible for the teaching of vocal music techniques to whatever level of student enrolled in a class, after-school programming, and summer camp and other designated offerings.
- Responsible for the teaching of daily vocal music offerings at the center.
- Develop partnerships for arts programming with schools & organizations.
- Responsible for recruitment of students.
- Responsible for working with Kroc staff to promote ALL Kroc Center Programming.
- Establish and nurture relationships with local, regional and national arts organizations.
- Responsible for the development of performance rubrics and lesson plans for each activity offered to all age groups consistent with TSA Kroc standards.
- Provide briefing of activities to the Performance & Visual Arts Manager and Director of Arts & Education when called upon.
- Responsible for participating in the Visual and Performance Arts School Series on and off Kroc Center site.
- Required to attend ALL staff meetings of the Arts Academy and RJKCCC.
- Is expected to be on time and on task throughout the duration of the class.
- Is expected to participate in other activities of RJKCCC and the Academy of the Arts as assigned.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Performance and Visual Arts Manager or Designee.
POSITION AND SCOPE
- Reports directly to the Performance & Visual Arts Manger.
- Will work closely with the Performance & Visual Arts Manager and Director of Arts & Education in various policies and procedures relating to music education, performance and pedagogy.
- Will work in conjunction with the Performance & Visual Arts Manager and Director of Arts & Education in outreach efforts to maintain class and programmatic percentages.
Applicants for the position of Music Instructor should have the following educational and experiential qualifications:
- 2-5 years teaching experience as a teacher or arts practitioner working with children, teens & adults.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Music, or other related field preferred.
- At least 4-6 years as a vocal music performer.
- Experience in curriculum development and be prepared to provide evidence of such.
- Must have experience in vocal music performance and be prepared to provide evidence of such.
- Must have a working knowledge of vocal literature in the development of a music library.
- Must be willing to teach classes, workshops and private lessons when necessary.
- Must attend all trainings and meetings required by The Salvation Army.
- Have a philosophy of education and child development, which is consistent with that of the RJKCCC and the Salvation Army.
- Have the ability to work with children, parents and staff in a capacity of leadership, counseling and education including, but not limited to:
- Ability of relate joyfully and sensitively to children of all ages
- Sensitivity to the individual needs of children while maintaining group identity
- Ability to use appropriate positive discipline consistently
- Ability to handle security and crisis situations in a calm manner
- Ability to seek supervision and use it consistently.
- Ability to engage and maintain a child’s interest in the activities offered.
- Membership in local, state, national organizations and other professional music organizations is highly preferred but not required.
- Safe From Harm training within 30 days.
- Valid driver license and MVR Clearance.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
This position is required to do light to moderate physical work. In order to successfully perform the essential functions of this position, the employee is regularly required to use standard office equipment and a PC or for executing educational programs. The work environment for this position includes high levels of noise and flexibility in a constant changing environment. Must be able to lift and carry 40 lbs.